Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm beginning to like this Lamott book more and more every time I read another chapter. I can really see the resemblance of our work as photographers to her work, and how we can make our work better. Lamott is right on target when she explains how our understanding of characters grows with each time we see them. But it is how we really pay attention to them and what they do that helps our stories unfold. I need to keep this in mind with every character I photograph for assignments or stories. I must see what it is that interests me that the character shows and I must try to show that in the most truthful way. And one of the most important things I read from this chapter was that you probably won't know your characters until weeks or months after you've started working with them. I feel like photographers must keep this in mind, especially us for our 30 day project, because people will unfold who they really are gradually, and it takes time and our patience to figure that out. I also believe that what she says about our relationship building the plot to be very true. It is our relationship that affects the character and how they unfold their true self.

No comments:

Post a Comment