Wednesday, February 3, 2010

While I was reading Chapter 1 in Langton's book, I found myself getting bored because I have already learned a majority of these things in History of Photojournalism. I actually really enjoyed that class and took a lot from it, but reading through it again in this book just seemed redundant. Although, I think the history of photojournalism is something photojournalists should really know in our industry. I think it defines our processes today and how we got to where we are now.

I found the Chapnick reading very interesting. I really liked reading about famous photographers stories because I find it inspiring. Although I have heard most of these, it is always nice to re-read about these photo essays and how much of an impact photojournalists can have on the world. I was especially inspired by Bill Eppridge's story because of the incredible access he had gotten. I can only hope that in my future I can become aware of such stories and gain access in the way he has. Although, I don't know how comfortable I would be with such a subject. One thing I was happy to see was a list of how the structure of a photographic essay should be. Although we have learned about most of these in school, it is always nice to have something else to look at and tell how how and why it's important that photo essays are structured like that. I plan on using this while figuring out my 30 day story subject and throughout other stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment